Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Reason Why

In the last few years there has been a driving force for me to remember more. Record my Dad's stories (often using a recorder and force). Write down details that are sometimes fuzzy and I often wonder why? Why have I felt so compelled to remember everything? The answer comes down to family.

My Mom was a driving force behind us enjoying our immediate and extended family in our daily lives. She set up parties, reunions and drove thousands of miles to make sure we played with family. When Dad was working to provide for us, Mom was working at building memories with our cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles. Because of her efforts, I have a close relationship with my entire family.

My Dad? He always helped Mom but he provided us with a valuable gift. He gave us our heritage. He introduced us to family members we couldn't meet. Instead we became acquainted through his stories. Phil Brown is a story teller, much like his mother - Elda Whiting Brown.

Although Dad and Grandma Brown share a story-telling gene, I have been told that my Dad's temperament and personality is remarkably like his Father - Joseph Albert Brown. But I wouldn't know. I never had a chance to meet Grandpa Joseph Albert Brown. He died shortly after my parents were married. What I know of Grandpa Brown comes from the stories Dad has told me. But Grandpa Brown isn't the only one I know a great deal about. I know that I had a great great grandfather (Peter Isaacson) who left his family in Denmark to come to the U.S. to join the Saints. I know that my love of reading most likely came from my great great grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Cox, who read books while she walked. Strong people who sacrificed everything to ensure that their posterity knew the truth of the gospel. My great grandmother, Anna Maria Isaacson Whiting, wrote a letter to us, her posterity. I think her words say it best:

"I thank my Heavenly Father each day that you all belong to my posterity. My pleading prayer to the Lord is that you may never depart from the teachings of this gospel, and that you may continue this record through out all time." - Anna Maria Whiting, 1948

So here we are. Continuing our record. Our stories will differ from our ancestors but the end result will be the same. If we are faithful and true to the gospel, we are tied eternally to souls that have passed on before our time. Our ancestors who love us, know us and serve us through the veil.

My efforts to continue our record involves recording Dad's stories. Sometimes I write them down. Some stories have already been written. I have approximately 4 hours of Dad's recorded stories. I have a working document of stories that I would LIKE Dad to record. Why? Because I need to remember so I can teach my children. Help them recognize their past so they can shape their future.

So this is a question for my cousins. Are there any stories you would like to hear more about? Stories that are not written down but need to be? Please leave a comment with any Whiting, Brown, Berry, Isaacson, Cox, Clemmensen story you would like to have recorded. I know there are more families, I just can't remember all of their names. I don't have a Phil Brown memory. :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Ok I am wiping away the tears...that was beautifully said. I wish we had recorded my dad telling his stories. One story I remember my dad and grandma Brown telling us was the one about the two sisters in Denmark working on the farm. The younger sister accidently got killed by the big blade that cuts the wheat and she bled to death in her older sister's arms. Ok-talk about fuzzy details! I don't even remember who it was!

Ken Legler said...

I too have wiped a tear or two. I am touched by your words. I am so glad that you taking the time to record these wonderful stories. My mom used to tell me the family history, too. It must be a common feeling of joy and pleasure in their posterity that inspires them to share. My mom passed away 20 years ago. It has been so long since I have heard her stories. I will try to remember, but I don't have a Phil Brown memory either.

I have been reading your post, very much interested and concerned about Uncle Phil. I understand only too well the difficulty of waiting and the unknown. Ken is on his 8th round of chemo with 4 left to go. He is doing quite well considering everything. He is able to work. Our thought and prayers continue to remain with Uncle Phil and each of you.

Love,
Jeanine Burdick Legler