Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Laughter IS the best medicine


Last night, Joe and I talked about creating a blog that would allow us (Phil Brown children, and Phil himself) to post stories and updates. So following the news from today, I went ahead and started it. (Btw - this is Nikki)

Our news today was devastating. So let's focus on the positive. Dad is still alive. I talked to him on the phone and our conversation went something like this:

Nikki: Hi Dad, how are you? (I wasn't sure what to say to someone who just found out they have cancer - AGAIN)
Dad: I'm doing about the same as I was yesterday.
Nikki: What is that supposed to mean?
Dad: Well, I wasn't doing so well yesterday and I am not doing so well today. So about the same as yesterday.

Then Dad and I started laughing. Because that is such a Dad way to react to something. Not because it was funny but his whole attitude is. Maybe we should bank on laughter is the best medicine? Hmmm, we might have something there. In honor of a lifetime of jokes, I am attaching a sound bite I recorded of Dad:

Dad Joke - Streaker in the Tabernacle


Tcahu,

Nikki

3 comments:

asmithson said...

I can't seem to pull it together. Good thing I am in the comfort of my home because the tears are flowing. I guess I need some of Uncle Phil's jokes to cheer me. Please keep your chin up. Our prayers are with you and everyone who is caring for you.
Love from Angela Smithson and family

Ryan and Bethany said...

Bethany and I will keep Uncle Phil and your family in our prayers.

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.. Uncle Phil hang in there . I love u guys , Daniel