Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dad's Christmas Letter

I am posting Dad's Christmas letter now because I just got it in the mail. But I liked it, even though it was about 3 weeks late.

Dear Family & Friends, 

2008 has had its ups and downs.

* I was heartbroken in June. I lost my dear little brother, Brent Brown, to cancer.
On the brighter side, though, as I attended the funeral, I was grateful that although I was a down winder, at least I didn't have cancer.


* Days after Brent's funeral I found a lump and was diagnosed with stage four Multiple Myeloma, a type of bone cancer.
On the brighter side, though, being a father to 11 children finally paid off because I have plenty of care givers (slave labor). They are taking great care of me and it is sweet payback for all of the diaper changing and trouble they have caused.


* When I had radiation treatment, the radiation burned my esophagus so severely that I couldn't eat anything solid for a few weeks. 
On the brighter side, though, I was finally able to lose some of that extra weight. I am ready to start a series of info-mercials for Radiation Therapy, the miracle weight-loss solution where you too can actually lose 45 pounds in ONLY 6 weeks. 


* My cancer is responding well to the medications and should extend my life. I am feeling much better after a rough few months. Stage 4 means that I cannot be cured from it. This makes me sad when I see all of my young, beautiful grandchildren.
On the brighter side, I have a firm testimony that Christ has made it possible for me to see and live with my beautiful wife again. So no matter what happens, I feel at peace. 

In this season when we celebrate Christ's birth, I hope we cal all feel the peace He offers through all lifes ups and downs. 
Merry Christmas

With love,  

Phil

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great letter! I am so glad to have found your blog! We have you in our prayers Uncle Phil! We are so glad to hear that you are feeling better these days. Much love, Michael and Tiffany Brown

Ryan and Bethany said...

Uncle Phil is amazing. He should be in the Guiness Book for Worlds Records. I love that he is able to look on the brighter side no matter what.