Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dad Update

I finally saw Dad. With my own two eyes. I saw him and his chest tumor (which is still visible, if it has shrunk 80%, it must have been huge).

This past week every member of the Phil Brown family gathered together. We had our own reunion of sorts. The purpose was two-fold. 1) Have a family picture. 2) Get all of the siblings away with Dad to go over matters of family business. It was the first time the siblings were alone in almost a decade (without kids and spouses). Buffy had a wonderful friend who let us use their beautiful cabin for 2 days.

We accomplished both nicely. It was so fun to see all of the family. It was a little bit harder to see Dad. Although he has improved somewhat because of the initial treatment, he is still in a great deal of pain. He has a nurse that checks on him weekly. When she asked him about his pain level - he said his chest and leg feel better but his back was still at about a 9. This is with him taking Oxycotin and Valium every 4 hours. WHAT?????

He is needing a lot more help everyday. It is hard for him to climb the stairs and he needs a walker or cane. Dad is grateful for the help but I think it is hard on him to physically deteriorate. If you think about it, he has been pretty independent for 72 years of his life - this would definitely be a change.

Sorry to end this post on a sad note. I will post some pictures of the family and events at our mini-reunion. And if you are lucky - you can see some pictures of our sibling retreat.

3 comments:

Ryan and Bethany said...

Thanks for the update. I know it is difficult to see the physical deterioration. I am glad you were able to all come together. Not so easy with 11 kids! Our prayers continue to be with Uncle Phil and your family.

Ken Legler said...

I am so glad that you were all able to get together. What a time of love and support! I am so sorry to hear about the pain levels. It is really hard to see someone you love suffer so much. Our prayers contiune.
Love,
Jeanine

summerzfamily said...

Dear President Brown,

I served under you as a missionary in Porto from 90-92. It was a privilege and honor. You and your great wife made my mission experience so rewarding. It was great seeing you this weekend. Your message about love and keeping life simple was uplifting and brought me back to many of your great talks as a mission President. I can only hope my mansion in heaven will be a fraction of what you will be awaiting you. May the Lord bless your family as you blessed your missionaries. Love Porto Portugal Missionary.